Saturday 25 April 2015

On the theme of survival...

Last year I was in one of my favourite places in the woods up the Welcombe and was surprised to find a Bee Orchid flower. We usually find these in open grassed areas and they are lucky to survive the hooves. A few of us swap sightings of these and it's a bit of fun trying to find them in the acres of grass from the directions given. Now, before the grass gets too long, is a good time to see the Bee Orchid plant. You have to get your eye in and once you can distinguish it from the plantains it is relatively easy to spot.
Anyway, I went back to where I found the bee orchid in the woods and was pleased to see the plant emerging again. Here it should get to flower and just to be sure I dragged a few branches across it for protection. 


In the pic the Bee Orchid is the plant plumb centre with the long leaves.


No comments:

Post a Comment